After Britain was abandoned by the Roman Empire in AD 410, the Island was one of the first places to be visited by the Anglo-Saxons who eventually settled and farmed here alongside the existing population.

An early Anglo-Saxon cemetery at Chessell shows us that the people who lived here were buried with grave goods such as swords, brooches, buckets and household pottery.

Finds included a particularly fine 6th century square-headed brooch and a sword mounting. The quality of these finds suggest that the elite class, at least, was prosperous and sophisticated.  

Later in the Saxon period, the Island was divided into long thin parishes so that each parish had access to both coasts, the Solent and the high seas. The boundaries to these parishes can be identified by Late Saxon charters. Brook was originally in Shalfleet Parish. Hulverstone, and part of Brook Green, remained so until 1889.