Hulverstone School

Some sort of schooling was provided in the mid-19th century at Elm House, Hulverstone and we know that Miss Hephzibah Hollis was teaching there from 1862.

When the school closed in December 1947, it was a sad end to what had been a thriving and successful rural school...

In 1872, Charles Seely MP, converted a barn opposite into a school house with two rooms ā€“ a third was added later for the infants...

Writing in 1958, Ella Way Hookey describes how in the 1880s: An infantsā€™ room was added...

Audrey Rann remembers starting school and how she was allowed to sit in the older class until she felt more confident...

Miss Hollis became the first Headmistress and held the role for 47 years. She retired in 1909.

At the end of the 19th century there were about 90 children at the school ā€“ possibly more than 100 at times.

In 1928, at the age of three, Ron Emmett was keen to get to school ...

From the 1940s, children went to Freshwater from the age of 11...