In 1910 Sir Charles Seely provided a ground – and aristocracy and clergy joined the team.

The cricket ground was at the bottom of Badger’s Lane, behind Old Myrtle Cottage. Matches were played against other Island villages, and even Mainland teams. In the 1920s carpenter Walter Newbery, was Captain. Lance Barnes (seated at right in photo, with bat) was a star player who, in a match against Yarmouth in 1924, scored 49 runs and took 5 wickets for 10 runs.


With thanks to Mr and Mrs Eric Sheath for keeping these records of fixtures and batting order.

The vicars often seem to have been cricket enthusiasts. Ron Emmett remembers that when he was a boy in the 1930s: Mr Winser, the rector, was keen on cricket and he tried to get us youngsters keen on cricket but without much success.That was the vicar’s hobby - he seemed more interested in cricket than religion. 

There was a cricket team in Brook certainly up until the Second World War. Below right, Bert Morris stands in his cricket whites outside Hanover House in the 1930s.

On December 15th 1900 there was a fund-raising event:

Brook Cricket Club Entertainment

Given at Hulverstone School in aid of funds for the Brooke Cricket Club.  The Rev. G E Evans presided over a crowded audience.  An Australian lady who was visiting the neighbourhood at the time made notes of the event. Great credit is due to Miss Hollis, school mistress and her assistant, Miss Reid.